Monday, March 23, 2009

Where not to buy chinese food, follow up to my previous post, and thoughts about Archie

Ordered take out Chinese food in Sturgis, MI yesterday.

"why in the hell....?" you start to ask

Mom lives there, she's recuperating from surgery, so we drove over for the afternoon yesterday to help her out a bit.

As I'm eating my pale-yellow chicken fried rice, and realizing that they prepared it with the aid of a bag of frozen peas and carrots, I have to stress - don't get take out chinese food in Sturgis, MI.

Seriously, a bag of frozen veggies? Who does that?

I guess I should feel lucky there weren't any lima beans.

Fried Rice should be brown, if you were not aware.
And, you know.... fried.
My wife's Kung Pao shrimp, by the way - a festive shade of pink.

There were over 60 arrests at the South Side irish parade last weekend. Including the breaking up of a riot at a park near the parade grounds.
(see my previous post)
The riot that prompted my call to 911.
Seems they only sent two officers to the scene, to restore order. The first one passed us as we left the area. He was about sixty.
If I were him, upon getting out of my car and seeing what he was up against, I would have just drawn my weapon and shot the nearest rioter in the leg.
How better to get everyone's attention, and to let them know you're not messing around?
I'm just kidding, of course.
maybe.

There are petitions being circulated to rescind the parade permit for next year, due to the over-abundance of intoxicated minors. Folks from the neighborhoods along the route are concerned that it's no longer a family-friendly event.
Um..... Duh?

It's rumoured that majority of the guilty parties were part of tour bus groups that came in from other areas for the parade.
Not sure if this is legit, or if it's simply easier to believe this than to believe that these were all kids from the neighborhood.
"Hey, I think that's my babysitter over there, squatting a couple of yards away from all those little kids..."

I won't cry if the permit's rescinded for a couple years. I'd like to be able to take my kid and her friends to the parade, without fear of fights and exposing them to people who are...exposing themselves.
If it takes a couple years off to get this sorted out - so be it.

Had to put my dog to sleep last friday. It was about as fun as it sounds, maybe less so.

We brought Archie home almost exactly fourteen years ago.

He was a bright, fun and faithful companion.
His desire to be close to us was touching, and cost us more than a few bucks in replacement window screens, door trims and other things over the years.
He was great to camp with, and always came back to us when hiking, eventually.
He was a joy to watch in the water, was crazy-good with a frisbee, and loved us unconditionally.

We thought we were going to lose him 5 or so years ago, when he hurt his back so bad he could barely walk, but we got him past that. I keep finding myself checking to make sure I'm not going to step on him as I get out of bed in the morning. Almost told him to be a good boy yesterday, when we were leaving the house, before catching myself.

We hope that he's happy wherever he's at now, and that there are many lakes, lots of mud, and many, many frisbees.

No comments: