Friday, October 6, 2017

College rivalaries.... or something else?

Honestly, I was never all that into them to begin with.  And to the extent I WAS, it was pretty laid back, and used to continue friendships.   Like calling my friend Gretchen, half-drunk from an MSU alumni bar a few years ago, because State won.
Like that.
Not to be obnoxious (I wasn’t), or rub her face in it (I didn’t, she’s a friend), but simply because I knew we’d both laugh about it, and a way to let her know I was thinking of her,  and that’s what friends do.
I realized that I’ve grown weary of all of it, this morning.  
I was at work, and it was tailgate day because of the game tomorrow, and I was in a room fairly well populated with what are referred to as Walmart Wolverines – Those rabid supporters that have never set foot in an University of Michigan classroom, but tend to be the most obnoxious of supporters, in person, and on social media.     
Not all of them, certainly, and I want to make sure to state it for the record.  
I’ve family members that fall into this category, that of rabid fandom without having attended.  And our interactions are always friendly and courteous, when football is discussed.   Good natured, in other words.  The rivalry, in this case, gives us common ground to walk upon, albeit briefly. I value it. It’s… nice.   Or at least nice enough. 
We have differing allegiances, but it’s not such a bone of contention that it causes problems…..
But for so many, it’s not friendly nor courteous nor… nice.
“Michigan STATE?!?! I hate you!”  Was in lieu of “Good Morning”, this morning.       Meh. 
I grinned and shrugged my shoulders and moved on. 

Social media’s the worst.   
Because… it’s social media.  
Nothing curdles the milk of human kindness quicker...

You make the mistake of reading comments on a post (how many of us swore to stop doing THAT…) and are inundated with half-witted garbage men (a legit example, not making this one up) and others, who are simply nasty and insulting in their support,  and quick to name-call, quick to anger, and quick to say “Oh yeah, well what about that one time that OSU or MSU or…anyone not UofM’s player did that one bad thing….” .
Rinse, lather, repeat.  X 1,000,000.
It’s gotten old, has no real positive purpose, serves only to further divide us, and I’m weary of it.

“Is he still talking about college rivalries?”  You may ask.
Would you have asked that, two years ago?  
To be honest, that very issue is another reason why my tolerance for sports rivalry nonsense has taken a hit.    What was once good-natured ribbing has gotten ugly.
And what was once relegated to Sox vs. Cubs, Mets Vs. Yankees, UofM vs. MSU (or OSU or…), has permeated our national discourse on all topics political, scientific, and related to gun violence.   
MSU vs. UofM... a microcosm, if you will.
    
And after the last week... I'm simply weary of it.

So, I hope everyone enjoys the game, and are friendly and good natured in their post-game gloating.


Go green!  

No comments: