Thursday, October 5, 2017

Fighting the season of gluttony.

(my friends at stridepost.com originally published this and other articles I wrote.  I'm re-printing them here, for posterity, with their okey dokey.)

That time of year is quickly drawing near. The wonderful time of generosity and abundance, of sharing what you have with others. Yes, my friends, leftover Halloween candy season is just around the corner. It’s just the beginning of our annual season of gluttony, a season that stretches from Halloween thru the end of the year. That’s why everyone vows to make lifestyle changes on January 1.
A few years ago, I instituted lifestyle changes on October 1. It was glorious and as I was committed. I skated through gluttony season un-scathed, a feat I’ve not been able to replicate in recent years. In part because, as I shared with you last fall. I’m a big fan of cookies. My weakness for treats like cookies is why I’m looking at ways to avoid the snare of gluttony season this year.
Gluttony is a lust of the mind. – Thomas Hobbes

Control Availability

The single best tip I’ve seen thus far is to, simply stated – be really choosey, especially when you’re some place like the office, where you don’t control availability. If you’re not going to really, truly enjoy that dilapidated fun-size snicker, or dull tasting factory made Christmas cookie – Then DON’T eat it. I find myself wondering why I bothered, about 90% of the time. (The other 10% of the time, I’m eating a peanut butter cup with my coffee, or enjoying a Tootsie Pop, way more than I probably should be. )
Stridepost FreeIt all starts with Halloween. When I was younger than my daughter is now, we were sent out into the neighborhood, with no guidance. Our candy collecting was tempered only by our continued enthusiasm for the act of it. Left to our devices, it became boring after a bit. As did, to be honest, gorging on the spoils of our efforts, when we finally came home. Much like that factory Christmas cookie and that dilapidated fun-size candy bar, the IDEA of it was far more exciting than the reality of it. A couple days later, the stuff we really liked was gone, and what was left… eventually got thrown out. Which is the same sad end my daughter’s Halloween (and easter) candy comes to, year in and out.
We try not to be too controlling, when it comes to her candy consumption. Our family does have some guidelines and some rules. We don’t want her to think we don’t trust her, or that it’s a bad thing.   It’s easier said than done sometimes, but we do want her to be able to be self-controlling as she grows up. But, in part due to the layout of our cupboards and counters in our crazy-old farm house, the candy ends up out of sight.   And… it’s forgotten about, largely. (This is another great tip, in itself, for besting the season of gluttony.)
Basically, the best plan is to control what you can, where you can.
  • What other fun can you offer at Halloween, besides hours of trick or treating? (Petty vandalism is NOT a better option, by the way.)
  • What physical activity outlets and fun family traditions can you create during the season of gluttony, that does NOT involve food
  • And if the activity or tradition DOES involve food– make sure it’s WORTH it. Make sure it’s truly satisfying.
And don’t hog all the peanut butter cups.

No comments: