Thursday, November 13, 2008

no sooner had I published the last post, then I realized I missed some truly awesome women-in-rock songs.

Totally John Cusack'd my list...

I swear I pressed the publish post button on the last post, and immediately heard Mandinka, by Sinead O'Conner, in my head.

Her album, Lion and The Cobra, came outta nowhere in late 80's and knocked me on my college-radio dj'ing ass.
Mandinka, Put Your Hands On Me... floored me.

I had just about picked myself up, when Emperor's New Clothes showed up on her follow up.

"What about whats-her-name, you know, uh....The Pretenders singer?" my wife asked.

Oh my christ, how could I have forgotten Chrissie Hynde?
I remembered Joan Jett, but forgot Chrissie Hynde?

Does Zombie, by The Cranberries count? Not sure if Delores wrote it, or if one of the guys in the band did. Was she just the vocalist?
it rocks, for sure.

Does Shame on You really connect with me on the same level as Chicken Man? Nope. How'd I forget Chicken Man, also by the Indigo Girls?

One of my favorite artists is Suzanne Vega, but not 'cuz she rocks.
Except she really sorta did, on 99.9 degrees and Blood Makes Noise.
and to a slightly lesser degree on Left of Center.

Siouxie and the banshees? Cities In Dust, or later-era alt. rock classics like Peek-a-Boo and Kiss them for Me are certainly worthy songs.


But is the simple fact that I didn't remember these songs, these great artists, when compiling my initial list, proof that they didn't belong on my top 10 desert Island list?

Or is it more indicative of the fact that my brain's failing?

History will (already has, probably) decided on the relative importance and staying power of all the above-referenced.

But for my own tastes, Should Mandinka have made the cut, instead of Seether? Probably. I still hear it once in awhile on the radio, and sing along with it at the top of my lungs, failing miserably each time to hit the high notes.

And shouldn't that be the defining characteristic of a great rock and roll song?

If you find yourself singing along to it at the top of your lungs, completely un-selfconcsiously, and the act of doing so brings you great joy, momentarily elevating you...... you have a winner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, that should be the definition. I'm with you, brother.