Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Milennium Park, 11/2/08

So, went downtown yesterday with Wife, baby and 10 year old nephew, for his belated birthday adventure. What do you give kids who get everything they could possibly want for their birthday and Christmas, from their parents and paternal grandparents?

An afternoon in the city, with fun, lunch, and a trip to the Borders downtown. Start it off with an El train ride from Midway.

They dig it, we dig it.

Anyhow, it was 70 and sunny in downtown Chicago yesterday. After lunch, and before the bookstore, we walked over to the park.
I had brought my frisbee with us, as Andrew and I had a lot of fun throwing one around last summer in the park.
we were looking for a suitable place to throw one around, when we passed the Pritzger Pavillion. There's a huge expanse of lawn there, criss-crossed overhead by rounded steel girders and a pretty impressive array of speakers.
I really need to catch a concert there at some point...

So as we started walking across the lawn there, we heard trains. Coming into station, leaving station, etc.
There's an El Line that dead ends in Grant Park, you walk over it to get to the park from MI ave.
Took me a few minutes to realize that the tracks ended a couple blocks south of where we were at.
What the...?

Just for kicks, the folks that run the park were playing train noises through the speaker system.

In surround sound.

As I realized this, I noticed a few people scattered around, just lying on their backs on the grass. Good choice, my fellow travelers.

We started throwing the frisbee, as trains pulled in and out all around us, rail cars were connected and disconnected, conductors hollered for people to board, steam was released from brakes....

If ever I decide to, uh....be kind to myself again, I believe it will be on the lawn of the Jay Pritzger Pavillion, on a unseasonably mild fall afternoon, with a good friend or two, and a frisbee....

No comments: