Friday, June 19, 2009

California Causes Cancer

So, I was shopping for a couple of fishing lures last night, at a nearby chain sporting good store. I was looking for one specific lure, to replace one that finally broke recently.
I was doing this last night, because I intend to fish on fathers’ day morning, killing time on a small MI lake while waiting for everyone else in the house to wake up.

After not finding it, and coming close to giving up, I finally found my ¼ oz frog patterned Hula Popper.
Huzzah!
And while riding that high, I looked around a bit more, and found a weedless soft bodied frog popper by a different manufacturer.
Why not?

So it went into the cart as well.

As I’m waiting, and waiting, and waiting……. At the check out aisle, I turn the 2nd lure over, to read the "how to fish this lure" info on the back. Instead, I get a sticker, stating that materials used in the making of this lure have been found to cause cancer in the state of California… Knowing that it was largely much ado about nothing, I still decided not to buy it.

This is certainly not the first time I’ve seen such a warning placed on some item or another’s packaging. Whatever the material is, it’s in lots of stuff. The cord that feeds from my PC to my MP3 player causes cancer in California. So does the cord that connects my digital camera to the PC.

So downloading music and photos can cause cancer.
But only in California.

Oddly enough, nowhere have I read labels indicating that these items cause cancer, say, in Ohio.
Or…. New Hampshire, as another example.

I think the logical correlation is being overlooked here.

If a result only occurs in one place, when same activity takes place EVERYWHERE, it’s not the activity, or the soft bodied frog popper, or the patch cord that causes the singular bad result. It’s the PLACE.

Therefore: California causes cancer.

This will add a startling new wrinkle to the "come to California" ad campaigns I’ve seen on TV…..

All joking aside, I can’t help but wonder about the labeling. What prompted it in the first place (cancer, apparently); why no other state has stepped forward and said "Hey, us too."; why the potentially harmful substance, if indeed it truly is, has not been removed from the items, or had attention drawn to it on a national level…..

We don’t demand (As other countries do) that our food products be labeled if they contain genetically modified organisms, and it was recently determined that we won't need to know if the meat we're buying is from a cloned animal; but someone pushed hard enough, somewhere, to make sure that I knew the fishing lure in my hand may cause cancer in one state…..

No comments: