Monday, December 7, 2009

Canadian Geese

The past couple weeks have been big "Canadian Geese fill the skies" weeks.

After a mild November, they've finally decided it was time to flee the north, in advance of winter.

(Yes, I AM jealous.)

Last thursday morning was particularly impressive, as I saw moree geese in the sky at one time than I believe I've ever previously witnessed. If I hadn't been doing 80 mph on the interstate in morning rush traffic, I'd have stopped to watch for a minute.

I don't actually like canadian geese, truth be told. They're violent, merciless pooping machines.
But they DO make an impressive sight as they slowly sort themselves out into a big "V" and head across the sky.

I'm reminded of something I was taught as a child, when I see small groups of the geese slide into formation.
Geese mate for life.

Which is romantic and all, but contrary to the fact that I tend to see odd numbers of them flying together.
(I AM a nerd, and I DO count them, whenever possible.)

"Dude, c'mon! We're all headed to Florida tomorrow for the winter. You should come!"
"No, no. I couldn't. Y'all are bringing dates, I'd just be in the way."
"Don't be silly, of course you wouldn't! We WANT you to come."
"Nah, I'd just feel like a 17th wheel..."
"Maybe you'll meet someone new when we get down there."
"We're Canadian geese! There are rules....."
"Oh, yeah. Bummer about that...."

No comments: