Saturday, January 19, 2013

Euchre, or something like it.

It's 7:00 on a saturday morning, and a man's thoughts turn to Euchre.

Not true.   It turned to Euchre yesterday.  
On the way to family game night at my daughter's school.

"It's family game night", I thought to myself.   And in my family, for many generations, "family game" equals.... euchre.

For those of you who don't know what euchre is..... I pity your ignorance.  a crucial part of your upbringing was missed.  You are incomplete.  How sad.

No, wait.     For those of you that don't know what euchre is, it's a card game.  Typically played by two teams of two people.   It can be adjusted and modified to play three man, or even two man euchre.
But for the sake of this post, we'll just stick with the traditional 2 on 2.

And this game has been the centerpiece of my family's get-togethers since before I was born.
I learned to play when I was... eight years old, I think.   Over some winter holiday when my not-very-healthy grandparents were visiting, and... it was how we could interact with them.  They were not up for much else.    And since it was the one thing that everyone did on both sides of the family when they were together, it seemed like a good skill to obtain.

And it was.   We had more fun with grandma Murray that morning than I can recall ever having before, or after.  And we were in the club.  We had the tools to more fully participate in all subsequent family visits.  Doors were opened.   Interactions with grandparents and aunts and uncles took on greater depth.

Laughter, always laughter, ensued.  And continues to ensue, whenever the cards come out...

Today, 37 years after my first game,  memories of random euchre game moments, quotes from my grandma, a woman who at age 90 could still hold her own at the euchre table, more so than in many aspects of her life; family legend.... thick with euchre references.

That one time, 20 years ago, when so and so euchred my loan.  
"Aunty Missy Cards"
"Dad could go alone with a hand consisting of a Subway punch card, two uno cards, a beer coaster and a get out of jail free card..."

And I delight in the fact that my nieces and nephews have picked the game up and are carrying the tradition on...

Little known fact about euchre.   It's magic.
24 cards can generate untold amounts of conversation and laughter.   Not just for the four people playing, but for the numerous others who are sitting around, watching, kibitzing.   Because when those 24 cards are in play, it's where the fun is.

On a non-family side note:   It's magic does not end at family gatherings.     I was delighted, upon going away to college, to discover that euchre was not an "Ohio thing", and that lots of people for SE MI grew up playing it as well.   It was nothing short of amazing how the same game, the same 24 cards, could put you in a room with virtual strangers, and in moments you were laughing with new friends.
It all started with someone sticking their head into your doorway.
"We need a 4th for euchre.  do you play?"
F*ck yes I play!    

And strangers become friends,

Anyhow, back to family game night...

Peeling it all back, removing the cards, the table, the ritual of it all, it boils down to tradition.
"Euchre"  doesn't HAVE to be... euchre.

But I hope, for all my friends out there, that you grew up a "Euchre" in your family.
And my hope for all who read this is that they pass their euchre along and down and keep it going.

My daughter just walked in, clutching a bear, all sleepy-eyed.
Good morning, peanut.

"What are you writing about?"
"Euchre."
"What's that?"
"It's a card game.  You're gonna love it in a couple of years..."


No comments: