Wednesday, October 1, 2008

to sleep, perchance to fish...

love of fishing, dream of fishing....

I fish.
It's one of my few real passions outside of my wife and child.

It affords me the luxury of removing myself from everything else, for a few hours. Like a really good concert, but quieter, and in more pleasant surroundings.

I'm not particularly obsessive about it, certainly not to the point where I own 8 tackle boxes, 12 rod/reel combos, participate in tournaments, etc.

But I know what I'm doing.


And this is what frustrates me. I know what I'm doing.
I'm....adept.

Until I fall asleep.

I dream about fishing, frequently. And in every case, my dream fishing experiences are straight up fiascos.
I hardly ever even get to the point where I have a line in the water, and never catch fish.


One mis-step after another. poles break, I forget things and have to go back for them, water levels are too high, parks are closed, lines are tangled....
the list of obstacles that prevent me from fishing competently in my sleep, are endless.

I bring this up only because it happened last night.
last night it was a kayak that was not watertight, and hopelessly tangled fishing line, after making 8 trips back to the house to find things...

I'm not even sure I can categorize these as "dreams about fishing", as I rarely fish in them.
I could think of them as "dreams about NOT catching fish" but that would include every dream I have....

what would freud have to say about this?

No comments: