Friday, October 16, 2009

Life lesson, a lesson about life, if you will

So, I've been developing a life philosophy.
You know. In my spare time.

Not sure philosophy is the right word to describe it, but I've got none better for the job, so....

Over 40+ years of life, I've honed, refined, whittled away until I ended up with this simple statement.

"Be kind to one another"?
"Use Sunscreen"?
"Stop and smell the roses"?

Good guesses, all, and all of them incorrect.
(I prefer the smell of lilacs, by the way)

Here it is.

your average day starts to go downhill, the moment you put on pants.

Take a moment, re-read it if you need to. I can wait.

You wake up in the morning. You're in bed.
You're.....happy there. It's a happy place.
You get up, shuffle around for a little while.
There's coffee; some scratching; a stop off at the bathroom, maybe a nice shower.

Things are going well for you. And you've not yet committed to screwing this up for yourself.

Another cookie, perhaps, to dunk in your coffee?
Why yes, thank you, that would be lovely.

But at some point, it becomes decision time. Make or break, do or die.
"Am I going to put these pants on, and venture forth into my daily grind?"

Choosing "Pants" means leaving your house.

There's risk, all the sudden.
Traffic
co-workers
bullies
peer pressure
stress
germs
failure
bad lighting
etc, etc, etc

By putting those pants on, you're opening yourself up to the possibility of danger, disappointment, and peril.
Maybe your day will be ok.
You don't know.
But you DO know you're day's going pretty darn well so far....

My daughter's two years old, and she's already starting to get it.
She'll walk into our bedroom in the morning, where she'll notice my clothes laid out on the bed.
"Daddy's pants?"
yep.
"Daddy goes to work?"
yeah..........

No wonder she's so adamant about her "naked" (no pants) time in the morning.
Fight it for as long as you can, darlin'.

No comments: