Wednesday, November 4, 2009

When you can’t think of something original to write about……. Review something.

I’d been thinking about sports movies this morning, which is odd, cuz I’m not a huge sports or sports movie guy. While sitting through an 80 minute pep rally at work, I started writing out a list of my favorite sports movies.
Note I said “My favorite” not “The best” or “most critically acclaimed”.

Keep in mind, my tastes are pretty pedestrian.

A good sports movie isn’t actually about sports. I like to opine that a sports movie that truly works, from a viewer standpoint, is actually about…. Redemption.

Was Rocky actually about boxing?
God no.
(And if you watch boxing, you’ll realize that the fight scenes in Rocky are possibly the worst part of the movie..)

I rest my case, by the way.

And remember, Rocky didn’t win the fight at the end of the movie. He lost, but still won. He REDEEMED himself, proving he wasn’t a loser to himself, his girl, and the world.


I expect that the “Rocky-ing” of various sports in movie form pre-dated Rocky, but I’m not a thorough enough student of the history of popular film to speak on movies that pre-date…me.

So my list only goes back 30 years or so.
I'll review one per entry, and probably get bored with this by the time I'm done with the 2nd review

No comments: