Friday, August 19, 2011

Perception

Perception.

I’ve had reason to think about this a bit, of late, never mind why.

A lot of us go through life, assessing ourselves based on how we perceive others.

We know we shouldn’t, but….

Person A always has their shit together, Person B’s always so upbeat and positive, I do /do not stack up in comparison.

Why can’t I be like ______? They’ve a nicer car, always look well turned out, are obviously more successful and more refined and more together and having more sex and….. You get the idea.



I try to avoid this pitfall, comparing my life to others, and finding my life… wanting.

It’s MY life, the only one I got, the only one I have any control of, and I’m plugging away at it.

And, honestly, the lives that others may or may not actually be living's got nothing to do with me.

Easy enough philosophy in theory, a bit harder to stick with in the day to day.

Other people’s lives…. You’ve no idea, really, about them, do you?

You don’t get to see the little man behind the curtain, usually. You get to see the great and powerful Oz.
Hold on… with proper emphasis: The GREAT and POWERFUL OOOOOOOOZZZZZ!

And how do you expect you’ll stack up against HIM?
I mean, geezus, he’s great AND powerful!

And you, at any given time, might feel like the lion, the tin man, or the scarecrow.

You’re kinda screwed, when making that comparison.

So try not to.

Because the great and powerful Oz is really just a regular joe huddled behind a curtain, frantically spinning dials and knobs.

No knock on anybody for doing this.
We’re all frantically spinning dials and knobs.
We're all the tin man, the lion and the scarecrow.

(I was Dorothy once, but it was a costume party, and I had lost a bet, and there was tequila involved, and... nah. made that last part up.)

Y'see, here's the scoop:

The person who’s always got themselves together is on three different medications.

The one with the sweet car and the nice hair lives in a house smaller than yours, and is sad most of the time, when they allow themselves to be.

The person whom you met and want to be-friend, but they seem on a different level than you? They’re almost embarrassingly excited when you finally suggest you meet for coffee. Turns out, they're really shy, and lacking in self-confidence.

The person to whom you aspire to be, might even… Listen to country music and… own cats.
More than one!!!!
(shudders)

And I find that this to be comforting, and like them more for it.

Except maybe the "listens to country music" part…

No comments: