Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Out with the bad air, in with the good. Out...In. Out....In........

Another one for the record books.

On paper, using broad strokes - not a bad year.

The devil's in the details, however.
And the details.... bastards, frequently.

Happy to be showing 2013 my backside as I move forward.

Look at my bum, Dennis!  look at it!  
And for those who got the old SNL Evening Update reference - you're old.  And I like you.

New Year's resolution - take up smoking.
Nope.  Made that up.

New Year's resolution - Accentuate the positive.

Work  to ensure that I do not, in a few short years, become the guy who screams "Get off my lawn!" at random passersby.
The guy who wins the lotto and bitches about how much he has to pay out of it in taxes.

Not sure what all it will take to NOT become the cane-waving curmudgeon that lurks inside, but I AM sure it's worth trying to figure out.

I believe it'll have a lot to do with remaining facing forward instead of looking back; suffering fools more painlessly until I'm not suffering them at all; and lots of.. accentuating the positive.

Appreciate the beauty and wonder and humor and love that comes my way in 1000 small ways, instead of allowing the negative stuff to clog my heart and mind, taking up too much of my time and energy.

So, suffering fools, accentuating the positive, and appreciating the little things.
And maybe medication.
We'll adopt a "wait and see" on the medication.....

More time outside, camping, fishing, walking...
More focus on little victories
More time making my daughter laugh
More time making sure my wife knows how great she really is
More time just... breathing.  In and out, focused on nothing else.

More time NOT worrying about the shit I can't change, of which there is legion.
Less time playing "What if _____" games with myself.  

Oh, and I'm going to try to learn how to play the guitar, and write more often.

Even if ultimately I do end up being the cane-waving curmudgeon, I'll be the cane-waving curmudgeon that can play Mull of Kintyre and Whole Wide World on the guitar, and turn a pithy phrase.
And I really think that will shine through, when I'm screaming "Get off my lawn!"

Take THAT, legion of crap I can't change!
In your face.

Wishing everyone a happy and positive 2014.  

Wish me luck.

No comments: