Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The day my wind chimes attacked me

Every fall, the colors change, the air gets that smell – you know the one. The sun shines and the world around us is resplendent.
Every footstep is a minor symphony, and every intake of breath is a small treasure.

I enjoy it so much I base fishing decisions not on where I have the best chance of catching fish, but on the prettiest scenery in which to maybe, just maybe, catch fish.

And every fall, this lasts right up until that one day, that one day that's suddenly upon you, when winds and rain whip through stripping the trees of their remaining leaves, turning crisp into sodden, a slap upside your head reminding you that fall is fleeting, and winter’s warming up on deck.

And he’s swinging big lumber…

Today is the meteorological slap in the head, I fear. Only this year, it’s a sock full of nickels, as opposed to an open palm.

And in case I was really,really dense, some metal pipes.
More on that in a moment.


I know it’s going to happen, and expect it, but C’mon!!!!
60MPH winds and lightning storms and power outages and tornado warnings????

Kinda overkilling it, dontcha think?

Hey, I like sharing my leaves, trash cans, tricycles, and patio furniture with the folks up the street as much as the next guy.
Like good fences, this kind of sharing can make good neighbors; folks we only see during the rest of the year, when our mail carrier forgets her numbers, or gets confused…

I do have to state for the record, however, that having my wind chimes attack me first thing this morning, when I was trying to remove them for their own safety, was over the top.
The mighty wind shifted as I was stretching , tippy-toed, to try to unhook them from the back porch this morning, resulting in foot long metal pipes chiming musically as they smacked me in the face.

OK!!! I get it already!!! Enough!

No comments: